I absolutely love this recipe. It’s great as a main course and also really good as a side vegetable dish.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 20 anchovy fillets
- 250g tomato concentrate
- 800g canned tomatoes
- handful fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- 5-6 small eggplants
- 600ml peanut oil for frying
- 3 large mozzarella balls broken into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- 100g freshly grated parmiggiano
- 70g unsalted butter
- Heat butter and oil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic. Fry gently until soft and translucent.
- Add sage, bay leaves, anchovies and tomato concentrate and cook around 10 mins, until mixture turns a rich dark red.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 10 mins over a low heat, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat. Stir in basil.
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into 5mm slices and pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in large frying pan. When hot, fry eggplant in batches until golden, turning so they colour evenly.
- Remove from pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Butter a 25-35cm ovenproof dish.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant slices over base.
- Spread 4-5 tablespoons tomato sauce over the eggplant and top with pieces of mozzarella.
- Add a little salt and pepper then sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of grated parmiggiano.
- Continue layering ingredients, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Dot surface evenly with pieces of butter then bake for 20 mins until golden.
- Serve with more parmiggiano.